WELL, I SUPPOSE THINGS DON'T GET WORSE THAN HANGING FROM A HELIUM BALLOON A MILE ABOVE SOME UNRECOGNIZED STATE. OF COURSE, MY GRIP COULD WEAKEN, OR I COULD GET SUCKED INTO A JET INTAKE. THAT'S ONE OF THE REMARKABLE THINGS ABOUT LIFE. IT'S NEVER SO BAD THAT IT CAN'T GET WORSE. - Bill Waterson

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Reader's block


P.S(Prescript) - This is not a computer jargon.

I knew I perpetually suffered from the writer's block ( and this blog is a humble attempt to fight it a wee bit !! ) but I've been having this annoying reader's block for the past few months. I have been at a loss for words when asked the following questions- What are you reading currently or Whats the last book you have read !! And these questions are coming by regularly from people who know me as an enthusiastic reader. Of course, I certainly wouldn't call myself voracious, though my family and some friends think I am one.After having made a couple or more of visits to books fairs around the town I was thrilled to no end at the prospect of spending the next few months glued to those fresh smelling and crisp books. But all I have managed in the past 3-4 months is a few chapters of Anna Karenina ( a very ambitious project, especially during a reader's block ), 1 chapter of the Hungry Tide, about 50 pages of the Selfish Gene ( well, another heavy read and a scientific one to boot ), 75% of The Pilgrimage ( I religiously read this one during my bus commute to work till I reached the last few pages and I couldn't continue anymore !), a few comics here and there, essentially Tintin, Asterix and C&H. Of course I managed to read Adiga's The White Tiger, Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love and Souad's Burned Alive. (http://wordswrite.blogspot.com/2009/02/in-name-of-honour.html) But these were relatively easy reads. I forgot to mention that I made my friends get me the LOTR trilogy for my birthday. I did own the omnibus, but it was of rather small print for easy reading. And not to mention, humongous ! I was hoping that splitting that into 3 books would make the task easier but the pack is yet to see the light of the day ( quite literally ) !!
I googled for some remedies on how to overcome the reader's block and there were some popular suggestions like the following
1. Watch television
2. Read old favourites
3. Read comics
4. Read a little everyday ( bedtime tales ?? )
5. Give reading a break and you will get back to it soon
Lets hope one of these remedies work ! I am already on to reading comics and old favourites like children's classics. Nothing like a nostalgic trip back to childhood, even if it doesn't dissolve the block.

2 comments:

Praveen Krishnan said...

Let's not talk about reader's block :-) I think there is a rock in front of me to prevent me from touching a book :-)

Anonymous said...

Hii dear.. First time at ur blog.Each post is Very matured.. I am sooo happy i visited ur blog.. I read P S I Love You Post.. i have wathced that movie.. Superb movie.. Now m gonna buy that book n delight myself..

Actually i was fed up of goin thro
all the same old crap blogs.. Urs is soooo simple yet soo attractive.. Plz do keep writing.. M gonna b one of ur regular followers.. Loved ur simplicity..

Friends??